At Pioneer Paving Ltd., we have plenty of experience with asphalt and thought you might enjoy these noteworthy facts – especially if you’re interested in environmentally friendly businesses.
Did you know, for instance, that asphalt is an incredibly old substance; dating some 1400 years ago? Read these fascinating tidbits about asphalt:
- Recycling asphalt roads saves North American taxpayers more than $300 million each year.
- Approximately 330,000 people in North America are employed by the asphalt industry.
- Ninety-four percent of the roads in North America are paved with asphalt.
- Eighty percent of old asphalt pavement removed each year is reused.
- Asphalt pavement is the most recycled product in North America – more than newspaper, aluminum cans, or glass.
- The Babylonians were the first to build roads with asphalt in 625 B.C.
- Rubber from old tires, roofing shingles, and older asphalt roads can be used again and recycled in making asphalt pavement.
- You can find natural deposits of asphalt in lakes.
- Asphalt pavement was first introduced in North America in 1870.